Museo Civico di Bassano del Grappa

Category

Institutional buildings

Period

1800s

Area

Vicenza

Presentation

The Museo Civico di Bassano del Grappa, one of the oldest institutions of its kind in the Veneto region, was founded in 1828 following the bequest of naturalist Giambattista Brocchi, and since 1840 has been located in the former monastic complex of San Francesco in Piazza Garibaldi. As early as the 14th century, the convent consisted of the cloister and the chapel of St. Anthony Abbot, located transversely to the original Church of Santa Maria, on the right side of the apse and the only surviving medieval room of the convent complex. At the Museo Civico are: the largest collection of paintings by Jacopo Da Ponte and his workshop; the wing dedicated to Antonio Canova; the archaeological section with ceramics from the 9th century B.C., small sculptures, jewelry, precious stones, coins and objects of use; the medieval section with the famous crucifix by Guariento; and the sections devoted to the 17th and 18th centuries with pieces by authors including Giambattista Tiepolo.

Services on location

? Acqua
? Corrente elettrica
? Servizi
? Ascensore
? Parcheggio
? Possibilità di pernottamento

Contact