Ca’ d’Oro


Castles, villas, palaces






The Ca' D'Oro represents one of the highest and most complete examples of Venice's rich Gothic architecture, of which the Doge's Palace is undoubtedly the most famous case and model for new construction. The building, which overlooks the Grand Canal, was built between 1421 and 1440 as the residence of Marino Contarini, a wealthy Venetian merchant, on the site of an earlier Venetian-Byzantine mansion, and remained with his descendants until the mid-19th century, when the new owner, Prince Alessandro Trubetzkoi, had it restored by Giovanni Meduna. Several of the latter's arbitrary interventions, however, were removed at the end of the century, when the palace passed into the hands of Baron Giorgio Franchetti (1894), who had the original 15th-century appearance restored as far as possible, with the addition in the ground portico of the floor mosaic, modeled after the mosaics of St. Mark's, and the red-and-white marble bichromatic wall covering.

Services on location

? Acqua
? Corrente elettrica
? Servizi
? Ascensore
? Parcheggio
? Possibilità di pernottamento