Lazzaretto

Category

Monuments

Period

1500s

Area

Verona

Presentation

Attributed to Sammicheli, the Lazzaretto of Verona, in 1549 and completed in 1628, immediately before the black plague in 1630. It is located in Porto San Pancrazio, on the river Adige, outside of the city. An impressive results considering the measures: 238,68 by 117,11 meters. At the beginning it was a leper hospital, far from the city. During the 16th century, it was transformed into a powerful ammunition depot and between 1700/1800 it was again briefly restored and used as an ?hospital? to hosts France and German soldiers with contagious diseases. During the Austrian domination, the Lazzaretto was, again, used to store explosives and ammunitions until the end of the IIWW (1945), when a tremendous explosion devastated the building and the area. In 1960, the small temple was rebuilt as it is now.

Services on location

? Acqua
? Corrente elettrica
? Servizi
? Ascensore
? Parcheggio
? Possibilità di pernottamento

Contact

lazzaretto.vr@gmail.com