Palazzo Cavagnis

Category

Castles, villas, palaces

Period

1700s

Area

Venice

Presentation

The Foresteria Valdese of Venice is based in the Palazzo Cavagnis, near Calle Longa Santa Maria Formosa. The first known owners were a branch of the Morosini, a Venetian noble family. In 1711 Antonio Francesco Cavagnis (or Cavanis), a member of a wealthy family of artists from Bergamo, bought the palace then owned by Lucrezia Morosini in Savorgnan. Antonio Cavagnis had the palace rebuilt to a design by architect Domenico Rossi. In 1810 Carlo Bevilacqua painted the myth of Bacchus and Ariadne on the ceiling of a room on the second floor. Other rooms on the same floor were decorated and frescoed by Venetian artists as early as the 18th century. The palace, now called Cavagnis, was connected by a bridge to the Calle Longa Santa Maria Formosa. During an aerial bombardment of Venice on the night of February 26, 1918, a bomb demolished the nearby landing stage and damaged the fresco in the dining room ceiling.

Services on location

? Acqua
? Corrente elettrica
? Servizi
? Ascensore
? Parcheggio
? Possibilità di pernottamento

Contact